Education: To facilitate the educational process related to Smart Growth, the Coalition has undertaken or will undertake the following initiatives.
• Presentation of its White Paper (Policy Paper prepared in 2003) to various individuals and civic organizations.
• Initiation of a series of “Summits” on issues critical to the principles of Smart Growth (beginning with a “Density Summit in May 2006).
• In partnership with and as may be requested by the Lancaster County Planning Commission, assistance with Smart Growth assessments/audits of municipal ordinances within Lancaster County.
• Initiation of newsletters and other public relations/information geared toward education of the general public.
• Participation in the “Master Planners” Course provided by the Lancaster County Planning Commission.
• Preparation of educational materials.
• Promotion of “Balance,” the County’s update to its Growth Management Plan, by partnering with the Lancaster County Planning Commission.
Advocacy: To provide advocacy for the principles of Smart Growth, the Coalition offers the following “services” to municipalities, developers, and the community at-large:
• As requested by developers, municipalities, or both, conduct reviews and, when warranted, provide advocacy of developer and municipal plans, ordinances, and documents in accordance with the Coalition’s White Paper.
• Reconvene, on a periodic basis, the stakeholders that prepared the original Policy Paper to review and update same.
• Conduct several, yearly project juries to review development projects and municipal plans for conformance with the principles of Smart Growth.
• Initiate sample ordinances or the development of standards to be included in same.
In providing these essential functions, the Coalition for Smart Growth seeks to be a catalyst in bringing stakeholders together and a partner with other organizations that share in our mission and vision.